L-1 Visa

pinpoint on a map Eligibility for L-1 if your answer is YES to any of the following questions:

  1. Are you a manager, executive or a “specialized knowledge” employed by a foreign business entitiy?
  2. Have you been working abroad for at least one continuous year within the past 3 years?
  3. Is your company abroad related to the U.S. business you will establish? Will the foreign entity continue to do business?
  4. Will you be coming to the United States to open a new office location for your company? Will the new office be active and operating shortly after you arrive in the United States as an L-1?

L-1A Executives and Managers​

The legal definition of management and executive roles for these purposes is quite strict, and a detailed description of the duties attached to the position will be required. In particular, the executive or manager should have supervisory responsibility for professional staff and/or for a key function, department or subdivision of the employer. Such personnel are issued an L-1A visa, initially for a three year period extendible in two-year increments to a maximum of seven years.

L-1B Specialized Knowledge Staff

This category covers those with knowledge of the company’s products/services, research, systems, proprietary techniques, management, or procedures. Staff in this category are issued an L-1B visa, initially for three years extendable to a maximum of five years.
On completing the maximum allowable period in L-1 status, the employee must be employed outside the United States for a minimum of one year before a new application is made for L or H status.