NYC Criminal Defense Law Firm
Being arrested or charged with a crime is a frightening experience. A conviction carries the potential of imprisonment and fines, as well as lasting damage to your reputation. Nonetheless, under the U.S. criminal justice system, anyone accused of a crime is entitled to the presumption of innocence. When your freedom and good name are on the line, it takes an aggressive and efficient criminal defense attorney to protect your future.
Heiferman & Associates, PLLC is a premier criminal defense, immigration and employment law firm serving clients throughout the New York/New Jersey Metropolitan Area, including, but not limited to Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island. In Queens, we service areas including Flushing, Astoria, Forest Hills, and Bayside. As a former prosecutor, founding attorney Justin Heiferman possesses “insider” knowledge of how the government will prosecute your case. From there, we mount an aggressive defense.
Through our many years of practice, we have built strong working relationships with law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges who see us as dedicated advocates and honest brokers. We have a proven history of successfully defending clients against a wide range of criminal offenses, including:
- Assault -- Defined as intentionally, recklessly, or negligently causing physical injury to another, assault can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony depending on factors such as the extent of the victim’s injuries and whether a weapon was used to commit the crime.
- Domestic violence -- There are automatic arrest requirements for domestic incidents in Queens, which means you will be incarcerated regardless of your innocence and potentially sustain lasting damage to your personal and professional reputation.
- Drug Crimes -- Drug charges include possession, distribution, trafficking, or manufacturing of controlled substances as well as prescription fraud. A conviction for a drug offense can result in a lengthy prison sentence and steep fines, depending on the amount and classification of the narcotics.
- DWI/DUI -- Because drunk and drugged driving is inherently dangerous, DWI laws in New York are strictly enforced and a conviction could result in fines, a suspended license, and jail time. It takes a skilled DWI defense attorney to protect your driving privileges.
- Theft -- Our legal team handles theft charges such as petty larceny (shoplifting), grand larceny, burglary, robbery, possession of stolen goods, and auto theft, among others.
- White Collar Crime/Financial Crimes -- As a former Assistant District Attorney with the Nassau County District Attorney Economic Crimes Bureau, Justin prosecuted and managed the investigations of numerous complex felonies including identity theft, bank fraud, embezzlement, as well as other larcenies and frauds, experience that we leverage in defending white collar crimes. Heiferman & Associates, PLLC has defended serious white collar crimes in NY, NJ, and Connecticut, both in state and federal courts.
Our extensive experience in both prosecution and criminal defense makes us uniquely qualified to handle your case. When you become our client, you will have peace of mind knowing that we will fight tirelessly to preserve your freedom.
When you consult us, we will take the time to explain all of your rights and the complexities of the legal system in understandable terms. Services we provide include:
- Representing you at the arraignment -- the initial court appearance where you are formally charged and bail arrangements are determined
- Conducting a thorough investigation of your case
- Identifying and interviewing any witnesses to the alleged crime
- Meeting all deadlines for court filings and appearances
- Defending you at trial
We know that a successful criminal defense depends on being prepared. We will obtain and analyze a copy of the police report to understand the underlying facts as well as to uncover potential errors by law enforcement. Did the arresting officer fail to read you your rights? Was evidence obtained without a valid search warrant? Did investigators use threats or intimidation to coerce your confession? Additionally, we will assess the strength of the case against you and challenge any evidence collected by law enforcement.
If your case proceeds to trial, we will consider all possible defenses, present evidence of your innocence, vigorously cross-examine the prosecution’s witnesses, and develop alternative theories of the crime. Above all, we will work to have the charges dismissed or to win an acquittal. Depending on the circumstances, however, we may seek to have the charges and penalties reduced. In the event of a conviction, we will determine if there is a basis for an appeal and continue fighting for your rights.
- Immigration Law -- Our immigration attorneys represent clients in bond detention hearings and trials, assist children arrivals with obtaining Special Immigrant Juvenile Status ("SIJS") in New York State Family Court, and help individuals obtain asylum and/or lawful permanent residence (Green Cards), as well as H1-B, L-1, O and EB-1 visas.
- Labor and Employment Law -- We represent employers in all types of disputes ranging from discrimination and harassment to wage and hour claims, prepare employment agreements, and also advise clients on litigation avoidance by providing training, audits and reviewing/drafting workplace policies and handbooks.
- Civil and Commercial Litigation -- We provide offensive and defensive capabilities to clients on matters such as breach of contract, construction and real estate litigation, employment disputes, insurance disputes (e.g. claim denials, bad faith), and deceptive trade practices.
At Heiferman and Associates, PLLC, we have a proven history of successfully defending our clients against all types of criminal charges. Although prosecutors have vast resources and teams of investigators and attorneys at their disposal, we have the knowledge and skill to level the playing field. Regardless of the charges you are facing, we will provide you with powerful representation when you need it most. Knowing that being charged with a crime can also become a financial burden, we offer convenient payment plans and other arrangements. If you have been charged with a crime, don’t go it alone. Contact our office today for a free evaluation of your case